Sat 10 Oct - Day 26: León to Villavante 32km

502km walked. 283km left to walk. 

Almost 2/3 of the Camino completed. 21 1/3 stages of 33 as suggested in the guide book. 

I was walking out of Hostel Albany in León just after 6.30am, a record early time. 

I expected few hiccups finding the Camino markers in the dark given streetlights and other city illumination. And it was all good. 

Getting out of León through its industrial west zone was boring and uninteresting. I liked this very skinny building though, next to the train lines. 
But otherwise dull as... 

Case in point, the Camino circles this service station in the Leon satellite town of La Virgen Del Camino, along the main road. Decidedly unsexy. 
Soon though the pilgrim had 2 route options, see the sign below. 

I chose the alternativo broken line route as Camino Principal follows the main road N-120 for a very long time. I had enough of that on the way into León. 
Also, tonight's intended destination was Villavante which is not passed on the main route. 

I think I made the right choice. First though the alternative route had to negotiate a spaghetti freeway junction. 

Cute add on sticker on this sign. 
Soon enough it was country roads. Some sealed, most not. Almost no traffic though apart from a few tractors and a couple of cars. 

Somebody wanted to cheer up the pilgrims here. 
The town Oncina after 10km was my intended first stop, hopefully with a cuppa. Then I saw this guy, providing pilgrims with plenty of refreshments in return for a donativo.
 
I had a coffee and chatted with the guy for a while. He had me writing in a guestbook and can you believe it, there had been pilgrims from both Iceland and Greenland through the small settlement of Oncina. At least according to his guest book. 
His blue storage unit was called a pilgrim dome. I got it confirmed from his map that I had another 20km to walk today. Which I knew. 
A couple of Camino pics from today. Most of today looked like this. Much nicer than walking alongside a busy road. 


Cute Camino sign in Chozas de Abajo. 
More Camino art in Villar de Mazarife. This was all made in mosaic. 
Hello from me and me buddy. 
Almost there in Villavante...
I arrived in Villavante around 1.30pm. I had then done 7 hours of walking, 32km, but I seriously toyed with the idea of doing another 4.5km to the next town. 

However, it started to rain just as I arrived in town so I took that as a sign that this was it. So I checked in at the Santa Lucia albergue in Villavante. 


After Skyping with my lovely wife back in Oz and after a nice shower, it was R&R for the rest of the afternoon. 

The Isle of Skye 3 crowd turned up a bit later, as did a Swedish woman from Skåne who didn't like cities. Also the loud Korea 3 crowd who couldn't handle cerveza in Terradillos de Los Templarios.

Yes, you can walk... far... But you can not hide. 

The albergue had a resident parrot who could say "hola". 
Lazy arvo and then "menú del peregrino" which started at 6pm rather than normal 7pm. 

I shared dining table with 2 Americans, Linda from California and Ed from Illinois and with that Swedish woman Kia. A pleasant hour and a half before we all retired. 

The weather forecast for the next 2 days is not good. 60% precipitation forecast for tomorrow Sunday and 100% for Monday. Showers, rain and possibly thunderstorms. 

Monday also happens to be a Spanish national public holiday, Hispanic Day. 

Let's see what's doing tomorrow morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment