Sat 24 Oct - Santiago de Compostela

Rain had fallen overnight in Santiago de Compostela. Despite Weather Channel's assurances last night of cloudy weather only. It didn't matter. 

I had no particulars a plans for today anyway other than more strolling and some shopping. And goodbyes. To whoever was still in Santiago.
First some grooming. I was having a haircut but unfortunately they didn't provide shaving services. I had to do the shaving the old fashion way later. 

This was my chosen peluquería in Santiago de Compostela for no other reason than that I walked past it. 
Before:
After haircut:
Would a pair of black sunglasses and a hat make me look like a certain Heisenberg? With apologies to the TV series "Breaking Bad".

The "new" me follows, complete with crappy haircut and crappy shave using cheap shaver from supermercado and soap. 

After haircut and shave:
That tarting up will have to do until I get home. I have a couple of cheap shavers left so I will have another shave before flying back. 

I was catching up with 3 pilgrim ladies for a final lunch before we all scattered to various places. Win, Deb, Jane and me.  
If my calculations are right, by tomorrow the four of us will be in 4 different countries. Me in Portugal, Jane in UK, Deb in Spain and Win in Ireland. 

Lovely tapas bar that Deb, who has been to Santiago before, chose for us. Clearly a place where locals go. 
I had a prawns and octopus tapas, same style of octupus as 2 nights ago. And this time I took a photo of it. Very yummy. 
We shared a bottle of Ramon Bilbao vino Tinto, which I have had before and is an excellent drop. 
This tapas bar is treating its wine seriously. Which didn't prevent them from displaying 5 liter bottles as well. 
After lunch it was bye bye kiss kiss and we then all went our separate ways. 

I went tourist shopping and picked up 2 t-shirts and 1 fridge magnet and then walked back to the hostel with my goods for some downtime. Aka siesta. 

Post siesta, I put my earbuds in and went for a walk with the intention to see parts of Santiago de Compostela I haven't seen and to take some photos of interesting things. It feels a bit like a movie where your eyes are the camera lense. 

The markets post market hours were empty and awaiting clean up. 
Interesting set of doors. 
Street corner. 
On the other eastern side of Santiago, the way we walked into town. Cathedral in the distance. 
This is taking security to a new level. 
The street where the new Pigrim office will be...
...which is here. 
Partially restored statue. 
I just had to take a pic of the tourist train littering the streets of Santiago...
After an afternoon gelato and popping into a pub to check out the Vigo vs Real Madrid football game, I wandered back to the hostel. 

Lazy evening snacking and drinking a few beers in the hostel kitchen downstairs, doing some planning for Porto trip tomorrow and for beyond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment